Frequently Asked Questions
WE ARE HAPPY TO HELP!
1. GENERAL INFORMATION
What is Book a Street Artist exactly?We are an invitation-based online platform on which you can get promoted and booked for various occasions ranging from weddings to corporate parties, private events and festivals. With our platform, we want to empower you as an artist and provide you with the right tools to manage your booking process, from the negotiation to the final payment. We are not an agency: we believe that artists should keep full control on the pricing, the negotiation, the organization.
2. APPLICATION PROCESS
What does it mean to be part of the portfolio?
Artists become officially part of the portfolio when they have their profile created as well as minimum one artistic service. From that moment on, their profile is visible for clients who would like to book them. Being part of the portfolio also means to be part of a community of artists that aim at helping each other and connect rather than competing against each other.
Do I have to pay to be part of the portfolio?
No. Being on the platform is free for all artists and will always be. We make our revenue by charging the client a commission on top of the price you fix. That way we can keep the ‘membership’ to Book a Street Artist free of charge for the artists.
How do I apply to be part of the portfolio?
How do you choose which artists can be part of it?
We base our decision on different criteria:
- The geographical area: at the moment, we are mostly active in Germany and Portugal. This means that if you are located in those countries, you will be more likely to get invited to be part of the portfolio.
- The demand we get from clients for your work: because we want to grow sustainably, we always keep an eye on the demand (client requests) and the supply (the artistic services). That means we give priority to the type of arts we are most likely to get requests for. Based on our years of experience, we try to estimate as accurately as possible whether the art you showcase is likely to get requested by our clients or not.
- The media material and examples you can provide of your work: we value high quality photos, videos and all kinds of media you can provide to show clients what you do.
- It is also important for you to be registered as a freelancer and able to pass invoices.
When will I know if my application was successful or not?
We regularly process applications of artists and will get back to you within maximum 2 weeks.
My application got rejected. Can you explain me why?
In general, we are giving a clear explanation in our email. If you are still not sure or would like to know more about the decision, you can always write us or call us. It could be because you are located outside of our main geographical area, or because we think you do not have enough high quality media material to showcase. Sometimes we do not have the capacity to onboard you because many artists in your area are offering similar artistic services. In order to keep things balanced, we cannot onboard too many artists doing similar activities in the same area and in a short period of time.
3. SIGN UP AND PROFILE CREATION
How do I create my profile on the platform?
To create a profile, you need a unique invitation link that you will receive via email if we approve your application. The steps are pretty simple:
- First, click on the link to create your account with email, password or with your Facebook account.
- Second, create your artist profile where you can briefly describe yourself as an artist, upload a profile and cover photo and write down your location.
- Then, create one or several “artistic services” pages that you can add to your profile. An artistic service page helps you to show the different activities you can offer to clients. Those artistic services are necessary (minimum one) to finish your profile and have it published. Without that, your profile won’t get published.
Once your artistic service is created, you can submit it for review. We will review and publish it as soon as possible, and send you a message to let you know. If you do not want to publish your service yet, you can save it as a draft and come back later to finish it.
Are there any rules to follow?
- Title: Please write a clear title for everyone to understand your work. It can be: “Folk concert with guitar and voice”, “LED hoop show”, “Mural painting for indoors and outdoors”, “Live illustration for events”... You name it.
- Images: Please upload high quality and resolution images, without logos, texts and watermarks in order to keep some visual consistency between the profiles. Please also avoid collages of several photos in one.
- Text: Try to avoid spelling mistakes and write a clear text that describes well what you do.
- URLs and contact info: Clients will contact you through the “Get a free quote” button. For that reason, please do not add URLs to your own website or page, neither contact information. We are considering adding specific fields on the profile for those
- As a general rule: Please do not upload or write anything that may offend or harm anyone.
Please note that we reserve the right to not publish a profile or artistic service if we think it doesn’t follow the previous rules. In that case, we would let you know about the modifications to make in order to have it published.
What is the difference between a profile and an artistic service?A profile is a page with a very short description of yourself as an artist, with a profile picture, a cover picture and your current location. The artistic services pages are where you really have more space to describe the different activities you can offer to our clients. Clients will see your artistic services first by finding them through the search engine. That means describing your service in details is very important. Feel free to check out some examples on our platform.
How many and what artistic services can I create?
Basically anything you would like to offer to clients. We kindly ask you to display one activity per artistic service page. That means, if you offer different types of performances or artworks, you would have to create one new page for each.
Why do you limit the length of the text and the amount of images?
We want you to keep it concise and clear :) For that reason, a rather small and well written text is always better. So far, the website lets you upload 4, 8 or 12 photos. This might change in the future.
Can I update my profile and artistic services?
Yes, you can. All you need to do is log in and from your “published services” section, click on “edit service”, make the changes and then submit it again for review
Why do you review all the artistic services?
We want to make sure that artists show their work on the clearest and most optimal way possible. We check the quality of images, but might also make minor changes in the spelling and wording. We also translate artistic services to make them appear in our 3 main languages (English, Portuguese and German). Please note that we reserve the right to not publish a profile or artistic service if the quality of the material provided is too low.
4. BOOKINGS AND PAYMENTS
How do I get contacted by potential clients?
Clients that are interested in your artistic services contact us through the “get a free quote” button. Once we get the inquiry and if the request is valid, we contact you via email or phone to know if you are available, interested and to discuss practical details.
Since January 2018, we have introduced our automatic booking tool, allowing you to chat directly with clients and get booked faster online. Here are the steps:
- You will receive an email with an offer and all the information. If you are available on that date, please click on « I’m interested »
- You will land on our bookings page. There, you can chat with the client to discuss details, negotiate the price or ask more questions.
- Please use our calculator to understand the total price including your next value, your VAT tax rate, our net value and our VAT tax rate. Please only communicate to the client the total price, including our commission
- Once the details are agreed upon, you can send an offer to the client by clicking on « Get booked » and mentioning all additional information
- Once the client decides to go ahead, they confirm the booking by paying our deposit (20% of the total booking value).
- Once the booking is done, you will invoice the client for the remaining amount (80% of the total booking value) to be paid.
What do I need to do when you contact me/when I receive an automatic request via email?
Please let us know as soon as you can if you are available and interested for the gig and provide us with all the info you can give, even if you can only tell a broad price range and need more info to be more precise. If you receive an automatic email, simply click on "I'm interested", or reject the booking request if you are not available.
How fast should I answer?
The faster you answer, the better your chances are. We often get short notice requests, and having a fast reaction from you significantly improves the chances to make the gig happen. If you are not interested in short notice requests, please let us know.
What info should I give?
In general, try to be as precise as possible. Let us know about your availability, technical requirements and an approximate price. When communicating a price, please don’t forget to take into account the potential transport and accommodation costs, material costs, etc.
I need money upfront (for example for material costs or renting). Is that possible?
That’s no problem. Please inform us and the client about it. All upfront payments should be agreed upon before the booking gets confirmed.
What if the gig doesn’t interest me or I am not available?
That is totally fine! We will contact you again for other opportunities. Just make sure to tell us directly or click on the "reject" button. In general, if there’s a specific type of gig you don’t want us to contact you for, please let us know as well.
B. Confirmation & Planning
How do I know the booking is confirmed?
We confirm a booking once we’ve received a proof of down payment of our part (20%) of the booking value. We always send you and the client an email with an official booking confirmation. In the booking confirmation you will find all the information that was agreed on, as well as the contact info of the client.
Once the booking is confirmed, what is the next step?
When the booking is confirmed, the rest is in your hands. It is your responsibility to contact the client and discuss practical aspects (deadlines, when to show up, potential transport, etc.). Of course we are always available to help or advise you if you need support.
What if the client cancels the booking?
Those cases are very rare. In case it happens, here’s our cancellation policy (communicated to the client in the booking confirmation document):
- Until 30 days before the booking date, the cancellation fee is free of charge.
- Between 30 and 7 days before, the cancellation fee is equal to 50% of the full booking value (incl. taxes).
- Less than 7 days before, the cancellation fee is equal to 75% of the full booking value (incl. taxes).
Concerts and performances: what should I pay attention to?
Please make sure to show up on time, to pay attention to your appearance and to be in good condition.
Can I bring friends to the performance?
It all depends on the occasion. In some case it is possible, but please make sure the client knows and agrees beforehand.
How long and what should I perform?
Those aspects are always mentioned in the booking confirmation document. Please make sure to fulfil your part of the deal and play the amount of time and the type of performance that have been agreed upon.
The client is asking me to play/perform a little longer. What should I do?
You can perform for longer or add something else to your performance if you feel like it, it is your decision. If you are willing to charge more, please make sure that it’s clear to the client before.
Artworks: when should I be finished?
Make sure to respect the deadlines or keep the client informed if anything comes up.
How do I get paid?
After the gig, it is your responsibility to send an invoice to the client to be paid the amount they owe you. You will be paid via bank transfer in the following days. For that reason, it is necessary for you to be able to pass invoices.
What kind of Data do we record on you?
First things first, we’re not evil. You have nothing to worry about when it comes to the data that we collect on you. We do not and can not look at what else you do on the Internet and we don't link together complicated SQL tables to create personalized profiles. We honestly have no other intentions aside from bettering our platform to empower our artists and make their work universally accessible.
That being said, we do track:
Un-personalized data via Google Analytics: How much time does a user spend on a page? How often are inquires sent? And how many visitors come to our site?
Via our Inquiry sheet, we do collect sensitive data if you consent to it, stuff like your full name, your email and phone number.
Our Drift bots are also hard at work, they record all kinds of data depending on what you chose to share with them, so it can include sensitive information like names and locations.
When you call or email us asking about our hottest graffiti artist or any other quote on an event, we create an inquiry for you which holds your contact information etc.
Now if you apply to us as an artist we ask you for some basic details so we can check you out for real ourselves, that includes name, email, phone number and a link to your work.
For those of you that are already artists you know about our negotiation tool, this also stores data depending on what you chat about with your client, so this can also include sensitive data like prices, names, locations and your bank details.
What do we do with the data we collect on you?
Now while it might seem like we track a lot of your data keep in mind that we do not process this information in any other way aside from what we describe to you and we never have and never will sell your data to third parties. If you give us your email as a client or as an artist wanting to use our platform we will use the email to stay in touch and log your profile under your name, and that’s that.
The data that we actually work with and study fully tend to be the un-personalised aggregated data that Google analytics collects on our average users. We try and find out: where you lose interest in our page? Are there features that would make life easier for you? Are the tools we supply for our artists being used? And being used correctly?
These are the kind of questions we ask ourselves and try to answer via the collected data. Everything we can do to empower our artists and the services they can supply so that their clients can continue having amazing experiences with them.
How long are we keeping your data?
As an Artist, we keep that data mentioned above as long as you continue using the platform simply because we need that info to operate your page and connect you to your potential clients. If you ever decide you want to no longer be a part of the BASA experience email us at [email protected] and we can assist you in deleting your profile, and if you do your data will be deleted along with it within 30 days.
If you are or have been a client of Book a Street Artist, you are in a similar situation. As long as the process of finding the right artist for you and your event is in progress we will store the data, simply to keep that process going so that we can make your perfect moment happen. Once the process is completed and we have had a chance to ask you for some feedback we will get rid of any personally identifiable information within 30 days.
How do you contact us about questions or concerns you have on your data?
Glad that you ask, if you ever want to know about what kind of data we store on you and to what extent you can manage this feel free to hop over to our contact us page and write an email to [email protected] to which we will reply as soon as possible.