Frequently Asked Questions
WE ARE HAPPY TO HELP!
1. APPLICATION PROCESS
What does it mean to be part of the portfolio?
Artists become officially part of the portfolio when they have their profile created as well as minimum one artistic service. From that moment on, their profile is visible for clients who would like to book them. Being part of the portfolio also means to be part of a community of artists that aim at helping each other and connect rather than competing against each other.
Do I have to pay to be part of the portfolio?
No. Being on the platform is free for all artists and will always be. We make our revenue by charging the client a commission on top of the price you fix. That way we can keep the ‘membership’ to Book a Street Artist free of charge for the artists.
How do I apply to be part of the portfolio?
How do you choose which artists can be part of it?
We base our decision on different criteria:
- The geographical area: at the moment, we are mostly active in Germany and Portugal. This means that if you are located in those countries, you will be more likely to get invited to be part of the portfolio.
- The demand we get from clients for your work: because we want to grow sustainably, we always keep an eye on the demand (client requests) and the supply (the artistic services). That means we give priority to the type of arts we are most likely to get requests for. Based on our years of experience, we try to estimate as accurately as possible whether the art you showcase is likely to get requested by our clients or not.
- The media material and examples you can provide of your work: we value high quality photos, videos and all kinds of media you can provide to show clients what you do.
- It is also important for you to be registered as a freelancer and able to pass invoices.
When will I know if my application was successful or not?
We regularly process applications of artists and will get back to you within maximum 2 weeks.
My application got rejected. Can you explain me why?
In general, we are giving a clear explanation in our email. If you are still not sure or would like to know more about the decision, you can always write us or call us. It could be because you are located outside of our main geographical area, or because we think you do not have enough high quality media material to showcase. Sometimes we do not have the capacity to onboard you because many artists in your area are offering similar artistic services. In order to keep things balanced, we cannot onboard too many artists doing similar activities in the same area and in a short period of time.
2. SIGN UP AND PROFILE CREATION
How do I create my profile on the platform?
To create a profile, you need a unique invitation link that you will receive via email if we approve your application. The steps are pretty simple:
- First, click on the link to create your account with email, password or with your Facebook account.
- Second, create your artist profile where you can briefly describe yourself as an artist, upload a profile and cover photo and write down your location.
- Then, create one or several “artistic services” pages that you can add to your profile. An artistic service page helps you to show the different activities you can offer to clients. Those artistic services are necessary (minimum one) to finish your profile and have it published. Without that, your profile won’t get published.
Once your artistic service is created, you can submit it for review. We will review and publish it as soon as possible, and send you a message to let you know. If you do not want to publish your service yet, you can save it as a draft and come back later to finish it.
Are there any rules to follow?
- Title: Please write a clear title for everyone to understand your work. It can be: “Folk concert with guitar and voice”, “LED hoop show”, “Mural painting for indoors and outdoors”, “Live illustration for events”... You name it.
- Images: Please upload high quality and resolution images, without logos, texts and watermarks in order to keep some visual consistency between the profiles. Please also avoid collages of several photos in one.
- Text: Try to avoid spelling mistakes and write a clear text that describes well what you do.
- URLs and contact info: Clients will contact you through the “Get a free quote” button. For that reason, please do not add URLs to your own website or page, neither contact information. We are considering adding specific fields on the profile for those
- As a general rule: Please do not upload or write anything that may offend or harm anyone.
Please note that we reserve the right to not publish a profile or artistic service if we think it doesn’t follow the previous rules. In that case, we would let you know about the modifications to make in order to have it published.
What is the difference between a profile and an artistic service?A profile is a page with a very short description of yourself as an artist, with a profile picture, a cover picture and your current location. The artistic services pages are where you really have more space to describe the different activities you can offer to our clients. Clients will see your artistic services first by finding them through the search engine. That means describing your service in details is very important. Feel free to check out some examples on our platform.
How many and what artistic services can I create?
Basically anything you would like to offer to clients. We kindly ask you to display one activity per artistic service page. That means, if you offer different types of performances or artworks, you would have to create one new page for each.
Why do you limit the length of the text and the amount of images?
We want you to keep it concise and clear :) For that reason, a rather small and well written text is always better. So far, the website lets you upload 4, 8 or 12 photos. This might change in the future.
Can I update my profile and artistic services?
Yes, you can. All you need to do is log in and from your “published services” section, click on “edit service”, make the changes and then submit it again for review
Why do you review all the artistic services?
We want to make sure that artists show their work on the most clear and optimal way possible. We check the quality of images, but might also make minor changes in the spelling and wording. We also translate artistic services to make them appear in our 3 main languages (English, Portuguese and German). Please note that we reserve the right to not publish a profile or artistic service if the quality of the material provided is too low.
3. BOOKINGS AND PAYMENTS
How do I get contacted by potential clients?
Clients that are interested in your artistic services contact us through the “get a free quote” button. Once we get the inquiry and if the request is valid, we contact you via email or phone to know if you are available, interested and to discuss practical details.
Since January 2018, we have introduced our automatic booking tool, allowing you to chat directly with clients and get booked faster online. Here are the steps:
- You will receive an email with an offer and all the information. If you are available on that date, please click on « I’m interested »
- You will land on our bookings page. There, you can chat with the client to discuss details, negotiate the price or ask more questions.
- On this page, you can also use our calculator to understand the total price including your next value, your VAT tax rate, burnet value and our VAT tax rate. This will tell you exactly how much you would receive.
- Once the details are agreed upon, you can send an offer to the client by clicking on « Get booked » and mentioning all additional information
- Once the client decides to go ahead, they confirm the booking by paying our deposit (20% of the total booking value).
- Once the booking is done, you will invoice the client for the remaining amount (80% of the total booking value) to be paid.
What do I need to do when you contact me/when I receive an automatic request via email?
Please let us know as soon as you can if you are available and interested for the gig and provide us with all the info you can give, even if you can only tell a broad price range and need more info to be more precise. If you receive an automatic email, simply click on "I'm interested", or reject the booking request if you are not available.
How fast should I answer?
The faster you answer, the better your chances are. We often get short notice requests, and having a fast reaction from you significantly improves the chances to make the gig happen. If you are not interested in short notice requests, please let us know.
What info should I give?
In general, try to be as precise as possible. Let us know about your availability, technical requirements and an approximate price. When communicating a price, please don’t forget to take into account the potential transport and accommodation costs, material costs, etc.
I need money upfront (for example for material costs or renting). Is that possible?
That’s no problem. Please inform us and the client about it. All upfront payments should be agreed upon before the booking gets confirmed.
What if the gig doesn’t interest me or I am not available?
That is totally fine! We will contact you again for other opportunities. Just make sure to tell us directly or click on the "reject" button. In general, if there’s a specific type of gig you don’t want us to contact you for, please let us know as well.
B. Confirmation & Planning
How do I know the booking is confirmed?
We confirm a booking once we’ve received a proof of down payment of our part (20%) of the booking value. We always send you and the client an email with an official booking confirmation. In the booking confirmation you will find all the information that was agreed on, as well as the contact info of the client.
Once the booking is confirmed, what is the next step?
When the booking is confirmed, the rest is in your hands. It is your responsibility to contact the client and discuss practical aspects (deadlines, when to show up, potential transport, etc.). Of course we are always available to help or advise you if you need support.
What if the client cancels the booking?
Those cases are very rare. In case it happens, here’s our cancellation policy (communicated to the client in the booking confirmation document):
- Until 30 days before the booking date, the cancellation fee is free of charge.
- Between 30 and 7 days before, the cancellation fee is equal to 50% of the full booking value (incl. taxes).
- Less than 7 days before, the cancellation fee is equal to 75% of the full booking value (incl. taxes).
Concerts and performances: what should I pay attention to?
Please make sure to show up on time, to pay attention to your appearance and to be in good condition.
Can I bring friends to the performance?
It all depends on the occasion. In some case it is possible, but please make sure the client knows and agrees beforehand.
How long and what should I perform?
Those aspects are always mentioned in the booking confirmation document. Please make sure to fulfil your part of the deal and play the amount of time and the type of performance that have been agreed upon.
The client is asking me to play/perform a little longer. What should I do?
You can perform for longer or add something else to your performance if you feel like it, it is your decision. If you are willing to charge more, please make sure that it’s clear to the client before.
Artworks: when should I be finished?
Make sure to respect the deadlines or keep the client informed if anything comes up.
How do I get paid?
After the gig, it is your responsibility to send an invoice to the client to be paid the amount they owe you. You will be paid via bank transfer in the following days. For that reason, it is necessary for you to be able to pass invoices.